Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Gaming and Libraries




I agree with Professor Adams that “the lack of familiarity with the broad spectrum of video games may…present a problem…” for some libraries, but I give credit to the libraries that explore the possibilities and potential of gaming by offering video games as part of their collection or programming, or even using them to assist in IL programs.   The article describing the Champlain College Library’s IL project was a great example of including users in library services, as well as demonstrating the efforts of librarians to think creatively.  Just discovering that the students did not understand what the librarians meant by “information literacy” should be seen as a huge lesson in itself.
The idea that “video games have the potential to change the landscape of education as we know it” seems inevitable because once gamers become more ubiquitous and start developing such programs and applications, then gaming is sure to become more mainstream in curricula (Shaffer et al.).  I suspect many, many students visit Howard Rheingold’s Second Life Office!  

In short, I have to be in favor of any library service that supports the purposes of education, socialization, and democratization —as Professor Adams suggests.  I am not a gamer—although I spent hours babysitting my nephew while he played Super Mario Bros. (love the music), but I have to say that virtual worlds intrigue me, especially the potential for creating one’s own story.  And there is certainly nothing more hysterical than watching middle-aged librarians play Wii in Meeting Two before we open!



Adams, Suellen. “The Case for Video Games in Libraries.”

Cohen, Sarah Faye, et al. “Percolating the Power of Play.”

Rheingold, Howard.  “A (Re)slice of Life Online, Part Four: Howard’s Second Life Office.”

Shaffer, David Williamson, et al. “Video Games and the Future of Learning.”