Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Ethical & Information Policy Issues

Elizabeth Stark’s FreeCulture: The Future of Creativity, Collaboration, and Knowledge is a great presentation that addresses copyright issues.  From Napster, to the concepts of piracy, DRM and fair use to Creative Commons, Stark’s discussion offers a myriad of ideas and resources.  I was particularly interested in her ideas on remixing and mashups, especially Pogo’s “transformative works.”  This part of the presentation was fascinating, and I have already started visiting all the websites she mentioned.

(I really like mashups, and I had a great opportunity in Aaron Coutu’s LSC521 Public Library Services to write a grant for a YA mashup program).  Mashups are proof that postmodern art is still very much alive and well!
&
“We cannot hide from these technologies, but neither should we automatically assume that such technologies are inherently beneficial or without consequence.”   Peter Fernandez

Peter Fernandez. “Online Social Networking Sites and Privacy: Revisiting Ethical Considerations for a New Generation of Technology.” Library Philosophy and Practice 2009
&
“We run the risk that users might steal collection material or that dirty documents caked in lead dust or mold might injure staff or patrons. We particularly run risks when we duplicate materials for patrons. It is an essential part of our service, but one that needs to be managed by knowledgeable practice and procedures.”  Peter Hirtle

Hirtle, Peter.  Update on a Legal Action Against a Cultural Institution.” LibraryLaw Blog February 18, 2012
&
Fernandez and Hirtle remind us how difficult these issues are both ethically and legally.  It drives home the point just how important it is to tackle these issues as a profession because such concepts are so complex.  Stefanie and I working on policy-making for our final project, and I have learned how important it is for librarians to have resources to refer to.  Here are just a few to start:

ALA http://www.ala.org/advocacy/copyright


Library Copyright Alliance http://www.librarycopyrightalliance.org/