Although I am using Youtube for videos and Twitter to send out bits of information about the book I chose to review, I am primarily relying upon blogging for several reasons. First, blogging is fitting for the book I chose because Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World is specifically addressed to those around my generation. In other words, it is geared towards a transitional generation that, while comfortable with Web 2.0, social media, and social networking, is not native to the digital age. In fact, blogs are a common ground between Net Geners and Boomers or Gen Xers because they are the best of both worlds: blogs combine social media with traditional forms of writing that seem more natural to the latter two generations.
Second, I chose to blog because one the points that Tapscott raises about the Net Generation is that they do not react well to inauthenticity. I am not a Net Gener, so it seems pointless to try and act like one or to try and develop a voice like one. I am very much aware that my approach to a blog style is very indicative of my generation, but what can I do?
As I mentioned in a very early post in regard to libraries and blogging, I believe the idea of demonstrating our “individuality” through blogging is exciting, especially from a public service point of view: a “chorus” of voices is certainly more reflective of our public, which ultimately serves to reach and appeal to all, and even more, library users (see post for January 30th). And it is certainly this view that leads me to see myself--and others in and around my generation--as segue librarians, who bridge the generational digital divide, whether we are Boomers, GenXers, the lost generation, or even Jonesers.
Jonesers?
Yes, Generation Jones. See Jonathan Pontell’s description of Generation Jones here….