Saturday, September 22, 2012

Notes on “The Culture of Connectivity:” Weaving Stories Through Social Media


Ah, mortal! then, be heedful; for so, in all this din of the great world’s loom, thy subtlest thinkings may be overheard afar.   
                                                                 Herman Melville (346)
While there are many points that Danah Boyd raises in “The Culture of Connectivity” that interest me, her idea that young people using social media “write” themselves into being resonates with me.  For some reason, my thoughts played off of her ideas into the implications and interconnectivity of individuals weaving their stories online, which then led me to remember parts of Moby Dick. (Admittedly, one of my favorite novels.)  In fact, I spent the better part of this evening rummaging through boxes of my old undergrad papers, looking for a paper I did on the rope, line, and weaving motifs in Moby Dick.  I see the above quote as part of an extended metaphor on the notion that in the trance-like process of weaving, we stop listening and communicating even though we are all part of the construction of a larger, cosmic fabric that ultimately connects us all: perhaps because we are, ironically, connected by the collaborative act, but disconnected by our absorption in our own contribution to the process.  Melville is still great!
But I digress!
Boyd’s point, however, is well taken because perhaps we all “write” ourselves or weave our stories more readily into being through social media.*  Moreover, Boyd’s thoughts on public and private "blurring," the choice of "negotiating" privacy, and diverting attention so as to hide one’s true feelings (like Jolie) are all highly relevant to future librarians.  Like some classmates have already alluded to, librarians must understand and, as Boyd suggests, “respect” members of this demographic because libraries--especially public--simply cannot afford to lose or sever connections to anyone. 
I also see Wikipedia in a very different light after Boyd’s lecture.  Her example of the “American Revolution” is undeniably eye opening.  So in regard to the blog entry, “OMG My Professor Cited Wikipedia in her Dissertation,” this is precisely where information, especially on such a topic is today!


*Blogging for class certainly makes me feel self-conscious: I wonder if I am in person, as I read in blogging!  I tend to think not, but then again…..


Melville, Herman.  Moby Dick or, The Whale.  Boston:  Houghton Mifflin.  1956.